Wednesday, January 11, 2017

Search for Profluence of Life


I am writing to you from Brisbane, Australia, at the beginning of an 8-month long globe-trotting solo adventure.



So, why did I go 9,000 miles away from my home and everything familiar? A search for "profluence."

The straight-up definition of profluence is "to flow smoothly." But, if you're going for an MFA literary definition, you gotta go deeper. It speaks to the passage of time through a narrative and how that "flow" is imperative to the experience therein. A Mr. John Gardner coined the lit term in "The Art of Fiction"--

"Page 1, even if it is just a description, raises questions, suspicions, expectations. The mind casts forward to later pages, wondering what will come about and how... The moment we stop caring where the story will go next, the writer has failed and we stop reading."

I writer friend recently mentioned this term to me, I had never heard it before. I realized that I was not necessarily looking for this in my writing, but in life. Working at home in the same town, generally doing the same things each day, I felt that my mind was no longer "casting forward" for anything. The novel I was living, I realized I would never read. Where was the uncertainty? The suspense? The questions? Like...


What the hell is this thing? 

When writing a story, you can't always let characters carry you. Sometimes you have to make events happen, otherwise you get the same thing over and over. No Profluence. I find myself now looking forward, wondering what will happen at every turn-- you know, like a good book.

My blogs are also now on the site niume.com (https://niume.com/profile/106548#!/posts) check it out for some great travel and trip updates from Queensland, Australia, Tokyo and Kyoto, Japan, and TBA, South Korea.

Lastly, looking for a new novel idea and going to post some excepts of different ideas. Let me know which ones you like and I'll stick with it.

One more thing... Photos!








No comments:

Post a Comment